Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire or Smoke Damage in Your Home?
In case of a fire always call 911! Once the fire has been put out the after-effects of any size fire require extensive repercussions addressed by SERVPRO professionals. Even if the fire only affected a small portion of your home there may be soot and odor that traveled throughout your home that will need to be addressed in restoring your home to original condition. If you have experienced a fire take these steps to ensure the restoration is properly taken care of.
- VERIFY THE HOME IS SAFE TO ENTER
After a fire, the fire department has to check to be sure your home is safe to enter. The fire department will check the electrical system and the structure of your home to ensure it’s safety.
- CALL YOUR INSURANCE CARRIER
Contact your insurance and file an insurance claim. They will then issue you a claim number, SERVPRO can work alongside your insurance company to ensure an efficient and speedy recovery.
- CALL SERVPRO of KAILUA
SERVPRO of Kailua is IICRC certified and available 24 hours a day with flexible scheduling to ensure prompt restoration for all fire damage.
- DETERMINE WHERE YOU WILL STAY THROUGHOUT THE REMEDIATION PROCESS
If your home has been affected by a fire and you will need somewhere to stay. Speak with your insurance company, they may have arrangements with local hotels in place for emergency fire restoration.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (808) 235-5015
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.